Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cullen Bunn talks Sixth Gun, Wolverine, and Kitty Pride kicking ass

Wolverine #304, the first issue in Cullen Bunn's run
Whenever a new writer comes to Wolverine, it begs the attention of Marvel readers.  Cullen Bunn starts his run on #304, and recently sat down to talk about his run, and his creator owned book, The Sixth Gun.

So you have quickly become one of Marvel's go to guys.  How's it feel to go from indie writer to writer of a big Marvel book like Wolverine? 


Cullen Bunn: It's been a year since I signed my exclusive with Marvel, and it still feels pretty surreal. These are characters I grew up with... characters I really love... and I want to make sure I "do right" by the creators who have worked on the titles before, the characters themselves, and the fans. Writing Marvel books and creator-owned books is really the best of both worlds.

With someone like Wolverine, who numerous have had a great run on, how hard is to look at the character and find a new angle that entices reader?  Or make an old angle shine in a new way? 


Cullen Bunn: That's always a concern, but if I obsess too much over it, I'll never actually get anything written. In the end, I have to trust that no one else is really going to tell a story in the same way as me. So, my Wolverine will be different than those that came before and those that will come after. At the same time, I try to honor the character's past and introduce some new concepts of my own.



I see in your first arc you're bringing back Dr. Rot. What has he been up too since Wolverine: Weapon X?


Cullen Bunn: I don't want to give away too much, but Dr. Rot has been busy. He's been making plans and preparations (for his next encounter with Wolverine). He has a big agenda, something nasty on the horizon, and he is not alone. I get to build on the character's history here, which is a real treat.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) I remember Jason Aaron describing Rot as Wolverine's Joker. Do you view him that way?


Cullen Bunn: I definitely see the comparison. Dr. Rot is crazy. Bad crazy. He's like a horror movie version of Joker, I guess. When he found Wolverine, he saw something... special. In many easy, Wolverine represents the ultimate subject... The ultimate canvas for him.

Great way of describing him. Have any desire to make your own impact on the Wolverine rogue gallery?


Cullen Bunn: Absolutely! Even in the Dr. Rot arc, I'll be adding to the host of bad guys plaguing Wolverine. Then, when we get to my second arc, I really go crazy.

Can't wait (laughs). You're also writing a few issues of Venom coming up. How's that been so far?


Cullen Bunn: It's been terrific. When I first started the project, I wasn't sure what to expect. Thus is, after all, a culmination of everything Rick Remender has dine on the series so far. It's a little scary. But the collaboration has been really great. It's been a lot of fun. I think that will show when the readers finally get their hands on these issues.

Is this the start of you taking over for the book? Or just to help out with the double shipping schedule?


Cullen Bunn: The goal with Savage Six is just for me to pitch in and help out.

I recently started reading the Sixth Gun, awesome series by the way. Is there an end game in your head, or do you think this has the potential to stay around a while?


Cullen Bunn: 'm definitely working toward an end game. The end has been in sight since early on in the first arc. There's a little wiggle room built in, but in total there will be around 50 issues in the series.
The Sixth Gun #20, the next issue in the series (3/21/12)

Do you have any other creator owned books being developed?  Be it with Oni Press or Icon at Marvel.


Cullen Bunn: I do have a couple of new creator-owned books in development at Oni. They both have terrific artists attached to them. I'm not 100% sure when they will be hitting the shelves, though.

I haven't seen you attached to any Avengers vs X-Men books yet, but do you have a favorite fight you'd like to write if given the chance?


Cullen Bunn: I'm not writing anything that ties into Avengers vs. X-men. There are so many potential match-ups that it's hard to pick just one that I'd love to write. Kitty Pryde vs. Iron Man?

Oh damn. That'd be awesome to see.


Cullen Bunn: I know, right? I'd love to see some fights that look like mis-matches on the surface. Plus, I support seeing Kitty kick ass as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment