Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Chris Eliopoulos talks Cow Boy and the advantages of creator owned work


Chris Eliopoulos, the artist for Cow Boy, recently sat down with Mr. Comic Book to talk about the story of a 10 year old bounty hunter.  It's being released on http://www.cowboycomic.net/ with a good chunk of the book already available to read for free.  The hardcover will be released on May 1st  

The release method of Cow Boy is rather unique. Why release it free online first then the trade later?

Chris Eliopoulos: This was a new product that no one had really seen before, unlike say, Spider-Man. You have an idea what you'll be buying. Not the case here. So, we had a choice and we felt that the work was strong enough that when people got a look at it online, they would really want to have the book. It's a chance, no doubt, but something we're willing to try.

Well, I'll say I already have it preordered.  With an all ages book though, what's the challenge of making material that appeals to both adults and kids? This seems to be a tough market to sell these days.

CH: The trick, if there is one, is to make a book that doesn't speak down to kids, but tells a story that everyone can enjoy. It's a tough market in the direct market because it's dwindled down to a pretty specific demographic. But if you look at movies and books, that market is booming. Our trick is to make a book that appeals somewhat to the comic book market but in general to all demographics.


Where did this idea for a 10 year old cowboy come from? How did it become what it is today?

CH: Really, it started with Nate Cosby. He wanted to do something that we could both work on and he conceived the idea of a kid bounty hunter. He sent me the first script and I went to sketching him out and bringing this world to life.

Your pencils seem to fit the all ages motif well, ever thought about doing an ongoing?  Be it with the big two or a creator owned book?

CH: I've done Franklin Richards for Marvel and I would love to do a series with either Marvel or DC, but I think they are now focused mainly on the super hero genre. I've been trying to branch out and try to get my foot in the door at Children's publishing houses. But, really, I think I'm more interested in creating my own characters and stories than working on someone else's.

Have any creator owned characters in the works?
Page from Cow Boy

CH: I do. It's with an editor right now. Waiting to see if they like it or if I have to take it somewhere else.

Hopefully it will work. There seems to be an upswing recently with creator owned work. Do you think todays market helps creator owned work more than it did in say, the 70's or the 80's?

CH: That's hard to say. I'm HOPING that the iPad, the apps, the bookstores and digital publishing will help. Without the costs of printing, there is more likely to be more creator-owned works being published. The key with this and all work in general is that it must be good. Being good sells books, movies, comics. I think most creators realize that ownership of a product will help in the long run versus work-for-hire in that once you do something work-for-hire, the company owns it and you get no compensation down the line other than some royalties. If a creator-owned book were to be optioned, all that money goes to the creators.

Do you see Cow Boy as being something that could last a while? That's a whole new section of movies. Comic books for all ages adapted to film?

CH: I see Cow Boy as something that can go on and on. Just like the old West, there are so many stories. I would love to see new versions of it in movies, books or wherever. I think it has lasting power!

No comments:

Post a Comment