Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Walt Disney World and Marvel

So I just got back from a five day trip to Walt Disney World, and had a great time.  As a personal interest, I looked around for anything Marvel to see how Disney was promoting their new acquisition.  It's Disney, so of course they probably have milked every property dry.

Wait, there is nothing to be seen anywhere in the park?  Well this is no good.

Soon after Marvel bought Disney, there were a lot of Marvel things around the parks.  Nothing big, but some comics and shirts.  During my five day stay (where I visited every park and a good number of hotels), I saw a grand total of two shops that sold Marvel stuff.  One was the gift shop at Port Orleans Riverside.  The second was at the Villains and Vogue on the street that leads down to the Tower of Terror at the Disney Hollywood Studios.  Seriously, that's it?

Both of the shops had Marvel comics, which was kind of surprising.  And a fairly recent/good selection.  Villains in Vogue had a good selection of trade paperbacks too.

Now I don't know if it's the contract with Universal that keeps them from advertising Marvel characters, but this is ridiculous.  They can't do a little more?  I remember seeing some Marvel t-shirts that were really cool.

I will admit that I might have missed a few, as one day I was somewhat recovering from the Woody's and Buzz's 5K.  What is funny is that while Islands of Adventure totes having a great comic book shop, the Disney stores have more recent comics and is more organized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment