Saturday, October 16, 2010

Teaser Adds

While this has been a staple of the comic industry, teaser adds have been quite the mixed bag recently, especially by Marvel. DC hasn't gone to the lengths that Marvel has with teaser images, and have had great success. The recent Brightest Day teaser that appeared in a lot of books was beautiful, and had to much to look at that I'm still deciphering the image. It's big, it's bold, and it makes clear and subtle claims at the same time.

Now Marvel. I'm going to start with Shadowland. There were so many teasers for this event that is stinking up the stands. What really bothered me was that one of the adds WAS A PANEL FROM SHADOWLAND #1! What the fuck. It's a splash page teaser, would it have taken that long to get an artist to draw one page?

Next is the new Hero for Hire series. It was blatant from the first teaser that there was going to be a new Heroes for Hire series. It totally defeats the purpose of a teaser. The rest of the week's teasers were pointless besides finding out who was in the book. If they were going to do something like this, why didn't they take the route the marketing department did with the relaunch of the Avengers books. Those teaser images were perfect. I was more pumped for those than I have been in a series in a long time

The only teaser image that I have actually liked recently from Marvel is the Bendis/Maleev Moon Knight ongoing. Although I hope Bendis isn't over stretching himself. And can anyone answer me when I ask if Scarlet is a miniseries or ongoing? I thought it was a miniseries (like Nemesis or Kick-Ass), but a lot of recent comments by people have said otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment